Tour de France 2022 will be the 109th edition of the famous cycling event and it will take place from July 1st to July 24th. There will be 22 Teams participating in Tour de France 2022 with 8 riders each.
The final list was confirmed in February 2022 and the list of teams always has two big groups. 18 teams have a secured spot as they are considered World Tour Teams. Then there are 4 extra spots available.
Two of those spots are always granted to the best classified “non World Tour” teams in the UCI rankings of the previous year and then organizers are able to choose the remaining two spots.
World Tour Teams are always invited to participate in the Tour de France
Being a World Tour Team is being part of the first division of cycling. The equivalent will be a NBA, NFL franchise or a Premier League team.
World Tour teams have the great advantage of having a secured spot in the Tour de France and also all the other World Tour races, however also the disadvantage is that they are required to participate in all the considered World Events, becoming a financial burden for many of them as it requires a higher number of riders and bigger infrastructure.
The list of World Tour Teams for the year 2022, and consequently with a spot in the Tour de France 2022 are the following:
- AG2R Citroën Team (France) – https://ag2rcitroenteam.com/en/
- Astana Qazaqstan Team (Kazakhstan) – https://www.astana-qazaqstan.com/
- Bahrain – Victorious (Bahrain) – https://bahraincyclingteam.com/
- BORA – hansgrohe (Germany) – https://www.bora-hansgrohe.com/en
- Cofidis (France) – https://www.equipecofidis.com/
- EF Education-EasyPost (USA) – https://www.efprocycling.com/
- Groupama – FDJ (France) – https://www.equipecycliste-groupama-fdj.fr/en/
- INEOS Grenadiers (United Kingdom) – https://www.ineosgrenadiers.com/
- Intermarché – Wanty – Gobert Matériaux (Belgium) – https://intermarche-wantygobert.eu/
- Israel – Premier Tech (Israel) – https://israelpremiertech.com/
- Jumbo-Visma (Netherlands) – https://www.teamjumbovisma.com/
- Lotto Soudal (Belgium) – https://www.lottosoudal.be/en
- Movistar Team (Spain) – https://movistarteam.com/
- Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team (Belgium) – https://www.quickstep-alphavinylteam.com/
- Team BikeExchange – Jayco (Australia) – https://www.greenedgecycling.com/
- Team DSM (Netherlands) – https://www.team-dsm.com/
- Trek – Segafredo (USA) – https://racing.trekbikes.com/trek-segafredo
- UAE Team Emirates (United Arab Emirates) – http://www.uaeteamemirates.com/
Which are the Wild Card teams participating in the Tour de France 2022?
As mentioned above the 4 spots not assigned to Word Tour Teams are the ones that can change year over year and they are distributed 2 for leading Pro Tour Teams on the previous year’s UCI classification and 2 wild cards that the organizer selects.
The top teams during 2021 UCI classification and not part of the list of World Tour Teams are:
- Arkéa – Samsic (France) – https://www.team-arkea-samsic.fr/en/
- Alpecin-Fenix (Belgium) – https://www.alpecin-fenix.com/
The invited teams to the Tour de France 2022 and getting a wild card to participate without being a World Tour Team or classified previous year are:
- B&B Hotels – KTM (France) – https://www.bbhotels-cycling.bzh/
- TotalEnergies (France) – https://teamtotalenergies.com/
FAQ of Teams participating in 2022 Tour de France
Which is the country with more teams participating in the Tour de France 2022?
France will be the country better represented in the Tour de France 2022 with 6 teams. In second position we find Belgium with up to 4 teams participating and the third position includes two countries with 2 teams each (Netherlands and United States of America)
Which American teams will participate in the Tour de France 2022?
There are two World Tour teams from the USA and both of them will be participating in the Tour de France 2022. One is the EF Education-EasyPost and the other one is Trek – Segafredo.
Which British teams will participate in the Tour de France 2022?
There is only one team based in the United Kingdom participating in the Tour de France 2022. The team INEOS Grenadiers (former SKY), one of the strongest teams, will participate in Tour de France 2022.
Is there any Australian team participating in the Tour de France 2022?
Since 2011 there is an Australian Team in the World Tour, Team BikeExchange–Jayco (formerly known as Orica Green-Edge) will be participating in 2022 edition of the Tour de France.
How many riders have each team that will participate in the Tour de France?
At the beginning of the Tour de France, there will be 8 riders per team. Since 2018 the teams are limited to 8 riders each. Before it was common that each team had 9 riders on the Grand Tours.
The teams have more riders in their organization however only 8 of them will participate in the Tour, the remaining are distributed across the full year’s cycling calendar.