Tour de France Stage 16 of 2022 will go from Carcassonne to Foix. It will be a Medium-mountain stage.
The finish line in Foix is expected to see a victory of breakaway riders due to the nature of the stage, however two 1st category climbs makes it hard to predict the winner.
Statistics and data of Tour de France Stage 16
Tour de France Stage 16 Average Distance
To calculate the average distance of the Stage 16 of the TdF there is some extra information to be provided.
- 3 times Stage 16 was an Individual Time Trial
- 1 times Stage 16 was a Team Time Trial
- 3 times Stage 16 was divided in more than one split
The average distance in kilometers of the Stage 16, has been 184.27 kms (114.49 miles).
If we do not consider Time Trials, as those stages are shorter, then Stage 16 average distance increases to 190.51 km (118.37 miles).
Stage number 16 of the 2022 edition of “Le Tour” will be than the historical average with 179 kms (111 miles).
Tour de France Stage 16 Distance Evolution
The year by year distance evolution of Stage 16 of the Tour de France has been decreasing exactly as all the other stages, however it is the first time that the trend is almost flat.
The reason for the decrease is that in the early days of the Tour de France, stages were incredibly longer than what we are used to nowadays; however the first stage 16 was in 1925 and over the years stage 16 has been commonly around 200 kms.
- Longest 16th Stage: 334.00 km. 1925 edition
- Shortest 16th Stage: 15.50 km. 2004 edition
Tour de France Stage 16 types of stage
The sixteenth stage of the 2022 Tour de France will be a Medium-mountain stage from Carcassonne to Foix. A Medium-mountain stage in the 16th stage of Tour de France has happened 47 times.
A Medium mountain stage, with 47 times, is the most common type of stage on the sixteenth stage of the Tour de France.
TdF Stage 16 Locations
The cities that have hosted more times the start line of Tour de France Stage 16 are:
- Pau – 5 times
- Luchon – 4 times
- Gap – 4 times
- Toulouse – 3 times
- Le Bourg-d’Oisans – 3 times
The cities that have hosted more times the finish line of Tour de France Stage 16 are:
- Pau – 9 times
- Briançon – 7 times
- Gap – 6 times
- Toulouse – 4 times
- Luchon – 4 times
Tour de France Stage 16 winners
Find below the list of cyclists with more victories on the 16th stage of Tour de France:
- Sylvère Maes (BEL) – 2 victories
- Michael Rasmussen (DEN) – 2 victories
- Jean Forestier (FRA) – 2 victories
- Fernando Manzaneque (ESP) – 2 victories
- Charles Pélissier (FRA) – 2 victories
- André Leducq (FRA) – 2 victories
- Zenon Jaskuła (POL) – 1 victories
- Wim van Est (NED) -1 victories
- Willy Teirlinck (BEL) – 1victories
- Walter Godefroot (BEL) – 1 victories
Stage 16 Tour de France anecdotes and important days
This section of the page will be a live document where I will be adding information that I gather through the time or that I receive in the comments.
Find more stats and interesting information about stage 5 of Tour de France.